Certain default fields are created automatically with all lists, and cannot be edited or deleted, such as:
- Contact ID
- Email address
- Subscription Date
Add a custom field to your contact list
- Access the list you want to use
- Click on the cog wheel on the right-hand menu. You will see default fields already available (Contact ID, Email, Sign Up Date) which are created automatically by taking the information entered when a you signed up for your account. These cannot be removed or edited, as they are used by the system to track subscriber information. You will also find the fields that were created within the creation of the list if.
- To create a new field, click in the Enter attribute name to add the name and select the Value type. Then, click save.
- Custom fields cannot have punctuation marks, special characters or spaces.
- Depending on the field type, you will be able to name and select a field type:
Text– Names and other text info (Field name and Content of the field cannot exceed 255 characters, including spaces), phone numbers, etc.
Number– identification number, age, etc.
Date time– Birthday, anniversary, etc.
Using a custom field in a campaign
Once your custom field is created, it can be used as personalized content in your campaign. This can be included in either the subject line or the content.
To add personalized fields to your campaign, you can either type them manually.
Remember: keep in mind that the tag needs to match the field name exactly.
"Hi [FirstName] Here is your weekly update!"
"Hi John, Here is your weekly update!"
You can also use the [email] tag, which will take the recipient’s email address and insert it into the campaign:
"This email was sent to [email], as requested."
"This email was sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, as requested."
You can also use fallback fields if no data is currently available.